ACT – A secure investment for your future
What is Access Control?
Access control means exactly that, controlling the access of authorized and unauthorized personnel or visitors to premises and property. Good access control does this as expediently as possible.
An access control system is a sophisticated yet convenient way to protect premises or buildings by restricting access without the need for a key. In most cases, the requirements for securing a door are the same, but differences based on access permissions can often change.
NEW! Milestone Verified
Our award-winning ACT system has officially received its integration certificates from Milestone. This integration delivers ACT as a scalable solution for our customers by combining top-class access control with world-renowned video through the Milestone brand. Choose the power of interoperability and maximize your security investment by choosing Vanderbilt’s ACT access control.
View our integration certificates below:
What is Vanderbilt ACT?
Access Control should not be difficult or time-consuming to install and use, and this is the simple thinking ACT was developed around. ACT is simple to install and maintain, regardless of your access control experience. Fast to install, and more straightforward to set-up and quote, ACT removes the complexity from access control and allows you to get more done, more easily, and in less time.
What is ACT pro?
ACTpro is the access control system hardware that comprises web-enabled door controller interfaces and a suite of MiFare and DESfire card readers.
What is ACT Enterprise?
ACT Enterprise is the role-based access control software suite for ACTpro hardware and streamlines the installation, management and monitoring of the ACTpro access control system. Download The ACT Enterprise software datasheet here
What’s hot right now?
- NEW ACTpro door controllers! To complement the existing ACTpro 1500 single door IP Controller range, we have introduced a new PoE Ultra version. This means that all power requirements for local door accessories and components are delivered directly from the controller, which is powered over the ethernet. Essentially, this means less cabling, less time, and more convenience for the installer!
- ACT Enterprise Apple and Android compatible app for real-time monitoring, user management and administration from your smartphone
- SPC intrusion system now interfaces into the Vanderbilt ACT system providing high-quality graphical maps showing all access and alarm points from both systems, and you can control all devices with the click of a button
- A rules mapping engine that ensures system interactions can be seamlessly introduced on a system-wide basis, enabling a higher level of added value to be realised, both for security and business-based functionalities
- Assa Abloy Aperio wireless components now integrate into the Vanderbilt ACT system
- Proven Integrated Security Management System
- ACT – Avigilon integration : ACT is compatible with Avigilon video management software (VMS)
- ACT – Milestone integration: ACT is compatible with Milestone XProtect® video management software (VMS)
- ACT – Hikvision integration : ACT is compatible with Hikvision video management software (VMS) : see video below.
- ACT – Dahua integration : ACT is compatible with Dahua video management software (VMS)
Learn about ACTpro’s extensive integrations
ACTpro, Vanderbilt’s award-winning access control system, is a tool that offers a wide array of access control functionality.
Simplicity, security, and interoperability are a cornerstone of ACTpro since its inception. ACTpro simplifies even the most complex tasks and integrates with multiple solutions within Vanderbilt’s product portfolio and third-party products.
ACTpro integrates with Avigilon Control Center (ACC) 7. This is Aviligon’s latest and most advanced version of their video management software and is designed to bring the correct information to you so that you can take action. ACC 7 delivers an easy-to-use, AI-enabled user interface to help ensure critical events do not go unnoticed. ACTpro software establishes a TCP/IP connection to retrieve video footage from the video system. The integrator simply associates cameras to access control doors for real-time viewing and video verification.
ACTpro software establishes a TCP/IP communication and retrieves video footage from the Hikvision NVR hardware. Using the easy-to-use configuration tool, the integrator simply selects the Hikvision dropdown option in the menu to establish communication. Once connected, cameras can be associated with access control doors for real-time viewing and for video verification combining access control and video management. This integration also facilitates the capturing of alarm events with a video snapshot option.
7 ACT Takeaways
1. Simple plug and play
We recognize that Access Control should not be difficult or time-consuming to install and use, and Vanderbilt has developed the ACT products around this thinking with a modular design philosophy. With its modular architecture and automatic device detection, ACT is simple to install and maintain, regardless of your access control experience.
2. Card Cloning and Hacking Prevention
The card reader is the single most vulnerable point in your entire physical office security setup. 90% of all access control cards in the industry today are easily copied and cloned on the internet. ACT Enterprise secures your business by using the latest DESfire ™ EV1/EV2 cards and readers and Open Source Data Protection (OSDP) protocols to ensure that your cards cannot be cloned and your readers cannot be spoofed.
3. IP at the door
ACT ensures installation time is kept to a minimum, You simply use one IP address and connect the controller to the network. To offer a flexible approach you can also use an RS485 structure.
4. Intuitive usage
With simplified processes, and an intuitive “point and click” interface, both users and installers have the opportunity to utilize the benefits of ACT with minimum training or technical support. A good example of this is the rules mapping engine that enables advanced configurations of various system inputs and outputs through an intuitive, user-friendly interface.
5. Software based on trusted technology
With a proven approach, ACT utilizes a single license from setup, that enables simple and efficient programming of system functions and updates.
6. ACT, making access control simple and innovative
ACT was created with an intuitive handling philosophy in mind and is a user-friendly system that has the ability to provide direct messaging on OLED displays at the door (where Vanderbilt Mifare OLED display readers are installed).
To ensure ACT is easy to quote, easy to sell and easy to install both door controllers with or without onboard PSUs are available.
ACT is fully customizable should you need it to be. If customization is not required, door controllers are pre-configured out of the box, to ensure you have an operational system in the fastest time possible.
7. Manage on the go
Our Apple and Android compatible apps mean real-time monitoring, user management and administration from your smartphone. You can enable and disable alarms, lock and unlock doors, authorize users and check who’s in and who’s out – wherever you are. Security has never been more convenient, and you’ve never been more in control.
Vanderbilt best key features of the latest version of ACT is the use of rules mapping to enable advanced configurations of triggers. These can be actioned on events such as system input and output change, and card swipe outcomes across the access control system as well as other elements of an integrated system such as intrusion system events.
ACT Enterprise rules mapping engine offers the customer an intuitive method to create rules based on access control events and Boolean logic. The use of rules mapping simplifies the implementation of more complex events/alarms and associated actions for the installer/integrator, by permitting the creation of logical relationships between system elements via a drag-anddrop interface.
For the end user, the addition of rules mapping ensures that system interactions can be seamlessly introduced on a system-wide basis, thus enabling a higher level of added value to be realised, both for security and business-based functionalities.
Related Case Studies
Toyota plant shifts to higher gear with ACTpro
BDI Security Solutions Ltd has installed access control equipment at sites in Burnaston, Derbyshire, and Deeside, North Wales, for car manufacturer Toyota Motor Manufacturing (UK) Ltd. At Deeside, Toyota operates an 115-acre engine plant. Together, the two sites represent an investment of £2.5bn and employ 3,000 people.
The client wanted a tailored solution that would enable them to operate from a virtual environment and respond promptly to requests.
- The installation replaces a legacy system that was no longer future-proof and did not allow access control listings to be integrated with Toyota’s general corporate database. The client now has a unified solution with badge-printing as an integral and cost-effective element when it had previously been a separate process.
- The equipment includes ACTpro Mifare1030 mullion proximity readers at both indoor and outdoor locations. These slim-line readers support third-party smart cards and fobs, feature a robust polycarbonate housing and have an ingress rating of IP67. They are particularly suited to this type of project where the smart card is used for multiple applications across access control and HR.
- Toyota is also using ACTpro eLock MIFARE Classic. This is a wireless door lock that includes an access control reader and opening mechanism, all powered by batteries. eLocks operate with an ACTpro eLock hub and up to 32 locks can communicate over a wireless network with each hub.
Operating from a base in Cambridgeshire, BDI Security Solutions Ltd. specializes in bespoke design and integration of this kind on high-profile projects. The company offers access control, video surveillance, perimeter intrusion, turnstiles and barriers. It is active in manufacturing, education (both schools and universities), retail and public sector. BDI Security Solutions Ltd. excels in maintenance and has a 24-hour emergency call out technicians. Remote diagnostics and support are available for many installations.
Vanderbilt’s ACT365 protects creative workspace site in London
Security installation specialist Vision Security Services installed Vanderbilt’s ACT365, a cloud-based access control and video management system, at Work.Life, a co-working and private offices facility in London Fields, east London.
Vanderbilt’s ACT365 solution was implemented late in the construction stage, as initially the client had used a conventional system, before realizing late-on the benefits available from cloud management. Essentially, the client needed unified management of access points and video both locally and remotely. It was for these reasons that Vanderbilt’s ACT365 was ultimately chosen for the task.
- Vanderbilt’s ACT365 allows the operator to activate doors and analyze their status from any major web browser or the ACT365 app.
- Vanderbilt’s ACT365 is allowing Work.Life to make immediate remote adjustments to a user’s details including updating access privileges when a lapsed membership is renewed.
- Crucially, Vanderbilt’s ACT365 cloud-based access control and video management system (VMS) will also generate muster reports during a building evacuation, with marshals being able to see instantly from their phone or smart device if members have mustered out. This function can be used remotely if required.
- The Vanderbilt solution has allowed Vision Security Services to exploit existing MIFARE cards to activate doors from Vanderbilt MIFARE 1040 proximity readers. The readers are designed to enable multiple applications of cards often in office environments.
- Vanderbilt’s ACT365 software operates from a compact unit involving minimal capital cost and is provided to installers by Vanderbilt and its distribution partners on an ‘as-a-service’ model. Clients can focus on their core operations without being distracted by technical concerns such as firewalls, router settings, patches and firmware upgrades.
Vision Security Services operates as an integrator across access control, video surveillance, intruder alarms and barrier systems. The company operates across the south of England and London from a base in Sittingbourne, Kent, and is SSAIB and Constructiononline approved. End-user sectors include education, real estate and general commerce.
There are very few true Cloud-based access control solutions, and the ability of Vanderbilt’s ACT365 ability to synchronize access control events instantly to camera footage from a single platform means no time is wasted searching through video. This aspect may well be unique. Vanderbilt’s ACT365 appeals to our end-users regarding functionality and price point. They also appreciate being able to view sites and even open and lock doors based on what they see on a camera feed, all from a smartphone or web browser. – Reg Butler, Director of Vision Security Services.